Here's what happened

langley1986
Regular!

Here's what happened

Postby langley1986 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:09 am

Crazy night ... just got back.

So, we were supposed to start at 9:00 pm. Myself, my camera guy, my brother, and the other interviewer and two of his people got out there and had stuff set up at 8:45. Security kept circling until they finally asked what was going on. We were directed by Harmony's assistant to climb the gate into this area where it appeared a building had been demolished. The security said they wouldn't let us do that - they stayed close by.

Some guy comes walking up in a mask and bandanna at about 9:10. He comes up to me and Wes (Wes is the other interviewer) and told us that the interview would take place in two parts, and that we *would* end up meeting with Harmony sometime during the night. The first part would take place as a phone interview with Harmony. In this first phone interview, it was optional, we could ask anything we wanted about his films and past trivia stuff about him.

Then, he gave us a map to the location of the second part of the interview. It was about a 7 minute drive from the first place. He said this second part of the interview would take place in person with Harmony and we could ask anything that isn't about his films or past trivia about him.

Then, this masked guy pulled out his phone and called Harmony and put it on speakerphone. Wes went first and asked his questions, then I asked mine. When we were done with our phone questions, the masked guy just darted and didn't look back. So, we got our equipment and followed the map to the second location.

First the masked guy walked up to us again at this second location and gave us some guidelines. Then, when we had stuff set up, Harmony drove in with his dog.

Before we could do any part of the interview here, Harmony insisted that we all sit around and listen to some music to set the mood right. Harmony and the masked guy sat there, and the masked guy started playing the Beyonce song Irreplaceable. Everybody sat there for the whole song to set the mood. Then Wes started his portion of the interview. The masked guy sat in between the interviewer and Harmony for both parts.

After Wes, I did mine. We had to finish the filming portion by filming Harmony through firecrackers at the masked guys feet while I held his dog.

- The audio phone part of the interview was pretty straight forward in a way. For the actual face to face interview - Harmony was Harmony. That's all I can say. There weren't really straight answers. After the interview was over and the cameras were off, he talked to me for a while and was really straight forward again.

He told me to that he comes to this website from time to time to find out dates and years about when he did stuff to verify - because he forgets the years that stuff happens sometimes. He said that Brutus is doing a great job here. He said that in general people need to chill out. He said people should be nice. It not about who knows the most stuff or has seen the most movies or whatever. He said it shouldn't be a competition about trivial stuff. He said that we all have seen the same movies - but we haven't all lived the same lives. It shouldn't be about trivia but about life. About what you think about before you go to sleep at night what drives you. That there are more important things than all the trivia and movies in life. He said its not just this forum, but all over the internet, when a bunch of people get together that all like the same types of movies or like the same types of anything, then people get competitive or whatever and people should be nice to each other and say nice things.

He talked to me for a while about this after the cameras were off. I can't remember everything he said, but he told me to say the above. He also said that people will probably say stuff about me not getting any straight answers from him and sometimes no answers at all, but he said that he felt that it was what an interview should be in its truest form.

I am going to upload the videos soon - and audio from the first half of the interview. I am going out of town tomorrow, so it may be Monday before it's up.

Brutus
Site Administrator

Re: Here's what happened

Postby Brutus » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:45 am

I can't think what to say to this. I look forward to seeing the video.

acid
Regular!

Postby acid » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:57 am

i'd like to say a big thank you to langley, it's a big encouragement from his advice with original interview for this website.

Johnny Boy
Regular!

Postby Johnny Boy » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:05 am

langley1986 wrote:He said that we all have seen the same movies - but we haven't all lived the same lives. It shouldn't be about trivia but about life. About what you think about before you go to sleep at night what drives you. That there are more important things than all the trivia and movies in life.

Why couldn't he say this on camera? I bet a lot of people would benefit from these words.

acid
Regular!

Postby acid » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:12 am

maybe coz it's more like a preach. but wt's the difference between the form in person or on camera? anyways he asked langley to mention this, i reckon it should be the "truest form" in korine's own view.

Johnny Boy
Regular!

Postby Johnny Boy » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:20 am

acid wrote:but wt's the difference between the form in person or on camera?

Because more people are going to see the video interview than this thread. It's all good either way, I just don't understand why he would talk mostly nonsense on camera only to actually have something to say off of it. I'm not complaining, and props to Langley for being able to get that out of him, it just struck me as a strange thing to do.

acid
Regular!

Postby acid » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:38 am

Johnny Boy wrote:I just don't understand why he would talk mostly nonsense on camera only to actually have something to say off of it.

We all know that's the way how he is, a bit odd but still very approachable unlike some pretentious artists. But I undersatnd why u say that, i dunno, perhaps that's the privilege for us spending much more time on his view on camera and OFF camera, rather than people just watching the viedos. I might be wrong, but that's what makes him so interesting.

Jesus Son
Regular!

Postby Jesus Son » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:13 am

sounds like quite a night. great work langley.

Alaric
Regular!

Postby Alaric » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:33 pm

for real, good job man. sounds like fun. congrats

langley1986
Regular!

Postby langley1986 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:05 pm

I'll try to get the vid up as soon as possible - maybe Monday or Tuesday. But don't get your hopes up too much, seriously. He only answered maybe a few questions straight. The real stuff was after the cameras were off - when they were on it was all an act.

nicholas
Regular!

Postby nicholas » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:12 pm

that pic´s so odd.
thanks for the interview langley, i bet you did a good job!

Kalamazoo

Postby Kalamazoo » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:21 pm

I don't see the heat.

direct recharge

Postby direct recharge » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:26 pm

it seems like he directed this interview. it somehow sounds like a strange night. curios to see and hear the results.

Boogie
Regular!

Postby Boogie » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:53 pm

haha

baal
Regular!

Postby baal » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:45 am

Gimmick.

Return to “Harmony Korine”