Crispin Glover's 'What is it?"

harris
Regular!

Re: Crispin Glover's 'What is it?

Post by harris » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:36 pm

oh ive changed and matured since then. but considering the rage that stirs inside of you from someone elses change, i dont expect you to understand.

wagon wheel
Regular!

Post by wagon wheel » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:40 pm

I'm sure you have, but I still see you and many of the members here regularly talk down to other members who you view as not being as knowledgable about film as yourselves. I mean, I really like this forum, and that's what we're here for, is to discuss films that seem to exhibit more artistic integrity than your typical mainstream fare, but still, at its essence it's a pretty empty medium. Nothing to get too serious about.

harris
Regular!

Post by harris » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:45 pm

huh?
'look i want to be here to do something pointless'
'stop joking and dont take stuff so seriously!'
?

wagon wheel
Regular!

Post by wagon wheel » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:31 pm

At it's core, film is simply the act of people getting together and recording other people pretending to be in real life situations (or sometimes random images) and eventually assembling it into some kind of narrative, be it abstract or not. It can be extremely entertaining, and at the very most it can sometimes provoke profound and distinct emotions in the spectator, and these experiences can sometimes lead one to believe that it is worth wading through the mountains of trash to find something that seems truly meaningful, but it doesn't really matter. If a piece of artwork in any medium can provoke a sensation within a viewer that is pleasant or at the very least makes him feel like the viewing experience was worthwile, then that is all that matters. However, the pretentiousness, elitism, and snobbery in the art subculture is obnoxious and serves no purpose outside of superficial egotistic bullshit. Like I said, they're movies. MOVIES.

joneshiro
Regular

Post by joneshiro » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:09 am

soo uhh has anyone been lucky enough to see the sequel "it is fine! everything is fine!" yet?

i went when he brought it to chicago. no complaints. i would go see both of them again as well.

billy the kid
Regular

Post by billy the kid » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:10 am

It is fine everything is fine! Is almost billiant.

Brutus
Site Administrator

Post by Brutus » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:17 am

I'll stop flooding the "Upcoming Events" thread and continue my posting here. I have a ticket to see What Is It? in Melbourne tomorrow night. Glover will be there and signing books at the end. I plan to get a book signed but I feel a certain anxiety about it. I see good potential for me to create an embarrassing memory, that maybe I'll lose my voice or freeze up when I get to the front of the line.

Here's an interesting article about Glover and this recent tour:

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2008-06- ... r-cinemas/

Brutus
Site Administrator

Post by Brutus » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:39 pm

It turned out well. Glover was very nice and very pleasant. He was very much approachable, really surprisingly so, like an agreeable neighbour rather than anyone famous.

I first saw him as I sat outside the building. I thought I saw from a distance someone who might've been Glover, dressed in suit and tie, enter the building and so went in to see and there found him, sitting in the lobby with a laptop on his legs. This was an hour before the show. It was a surprise to see him just wandering about like that, like a common man coming through the same door as me, heh. Before seeing him there I imagined him coming through a back door, keeping at a distance, avoiding the audience when he could and so forth.

The book reading and film were very good. The questions and answers afterward went on for too long though. People kept putting their hands up and Glover was polite in answering all at fair length, it was at least an hour and a half before an end was put to it. It really dragged on. The same question was asked in five different ways, it felt.

After the questions Glover sat at a table setup in the corridor outside the cinema, there I had books signed. In all the entire night went for maybe five hours.

Johnny Boy
Regular!

Post by Johnny Boy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:58 pm

I got fired today. I don't care so much about losing the job, but knowing I've missed this event when I could have so easily been laid off two days prior... bah, humbug...

Kingfish
Regular!

Post by Kingfish » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:31 pm

Johnny Boy wrote:I got fired today. I don't care so much about losing the job, but knowing I've missed this event when I could have so easily been laid off two days prior... bah, humbug...
Did you get fired or laid off? And where did you work?
"The best Bergman film I've seen is Offret, and the worst, Interiors. I like them both."

Johnny Boy
Regular!

Post by Johnny Boy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:22 pm

Kingfish wrote:
Johnny Boy wrote:I got fired today. I don't care so much about losing the job, but knowing I've missed this event when I could have so easily been laid off two days prior... bah, humbug...
Did you get fired or laid off? And where did you work?
Laid off, suppose, as with casual work there's the possibility of being hired a second time. I was doing odd jobs and things in a factory for about a month. I made it sound dramatic, but it's really not. I'm just annoyed I missed some great films this past month. I bought a ticket for the Mother and the Whore, which I had to pass on, then was going to see Labyrinth w/ the aide of magic mushies and some professional belly dancers I met recently, missed Witchfinder General and If... and of course, the Crispin Glover nights... shit, it's been a strange week. The neighbour's cat was mutilated in my front lawn, which was hard to explain; I found out I had high cholesterol and the lung capacity of a dying man, then news I'd have to seek out a new job again.

baal
Regular!

Post by baal » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:40 am

kpo123
Regular!

Post by kpo123 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:39 pm

He canceled in Brisbane..

Brutus
Site Administrator

Post by Brutus » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:49 am

Ah, I see he removed the listing from his website but I can't find any information outside of that. I'm curious as to the reason for it being canceled, do you have any idea?

kpo123
Regular!

Post by kpo123 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:10 am

Yeah, the cinema person said he had to fly back to the US to start shooting on a movie. Apparently he's postponing it until March.