Top 10: Twist Endings

aka Wombat
Regular!

Top 10: Twist Endings

Post by aka Wombat » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:15 am

'Nothing beats a satisfying murder mystery, suspense-thriller or whodunit than an out-of-left-field shocker, otherwise known as the twist ending. Apart from deus ex machina, “it was all a dream,” and other slapped-on gimmicks that are just cheap cop outs for filmmakers, the true twist ending is something you never see coming and it makes an instant legend out of any B movie. Just when you think that you have the whole movie figured out, it quickly takes a turn and things just aren’t what they seemed to be.

Warning: This article contains spoilers, the early warning ruination of any twist flick. The good news for you, though, is that if you haven’t already seen all of these films, you’ve at least heard of them.

Number 10
Psycho - 1960
Psycho is practically the prototype for all great modern twists. This is one of Alfred Hitchcock’s later films and arguably his most recognizable. A young woman on the run with a stolen loot shacks up at the Bates Motel, and that’s the last time anyone sees her. Detectives tracking her end up at the motel managed by Norman Bates and his mother. Hitchcock builds his tension through very little action, lengthy scenes of dialogue and examinations of character and unique relationships.

The twist: At the end we finally meet Mrs. Bates and learn the depth of both Norman’s maternal attachment and his homicidal rage. There is a startling realization that even in the ‘60s there were stranger people than Ed Wood doing a bit of cross dressing.

Number 9
Planet of the Apes - 1968
Astronaut George Taylor (Charlton Heston) gets lost in space and ends up on a planet that is run by talking apes. The good news is that there is an answer to the search for other intelligent life in the universe. The bad news is that they’re angry, distrustful war-mongering simians. How will our fateful hero escape this uncivilized world and get back to his home planet?

The twist: That’s a dilly of a pickle all right, but what always helps to think of solutions to complex problems is a nice, relaxing walk on the beach. Ah, that’s better. Wait! What’s that Statue of Liberty doing here? This was Earth all along. That’s some bitter irony, isn't it Captain?

Number 8
The Empire Strikes Back - 1980
It was a real watershed moment for children in 1980 when George Lucas threw his second installment at us. Luke was always a snotty little brat and we find out exactly why at the end of Empire. If you were anywhere in North America at the time, you could hear the collective sound of 10 million boys’ jaws dropping when their entire sense of right versus wrong went out with the bathwater.

The twist: Darth Vader finishes a lightsaber battle with Luke first by cutting his hand off and then by telling him “Who’s your daddy.” Worst case of dead-beat dad I’ve ever seen: no child support, pressure to join the Dark Side, never took Luke fishing, cut off his hand, never sent birthday cards, and killed his friends.

Edward Norton makes two appearances and we’d rather see Costner in The Wicker Man... NEXT>>

Number 7
Primal Fear - 1996
We had our first glimpse of how good of an actor Edward Norton is when he made his Golden Globe-winning entrance as Aaron Stampler, a stuttering altar boy accused of killing a priest. After being arrested and interrogated, however, Aaron becomes Roy, his split personality. Roy is a confident, tough-talking sociopath who dishes up the truth about the sex-deviate priest who abused Aaron and others.

The twist: The twist comes into play as you try to figure out who to believe and who is real. After the case closes, and all is won for our psychologically challenged protagonist, he lets it slip to his lawyer that it was all just a game that he played for fun and murder. No stutter. No split personality. Oh, and there never was an Aaron. He made that up too. Cool bonus: Richard Gere gets played.

Number 6
No Way Out - 1987
Damn! Did I just put a Kevin Costner movie on this list? But this is early Costner; before he became really obnoxious. Released right after he found his star on the rise with The Untouchables, No Way Out is a subversive little sexy spy thriller where Costner plays Tom Farrell, a Navy hero who falls for minx Susan Atwell. She has also been dallying with the Defense Secretary (Gene Hackman), whose jealousy gets the better of him in this love triangle. A struggle ensues, which results in Young falling to her death.

Costner knows that he’ll get pinned for the murder since photo evidence is developing to prove that he was with her that night. Ironically, he’s leading the investigation that will brand the culprit as a traitorous spy. The tension slowly rolls to a climactic boil when the blame could fall on anyone at a moment’s notice.

The twist: In true Costner-style, his character walks away from the turmoil with a little blood on his hands, but none the worse for wear. Oh yeah, and Farrell really was a traitorous spy working undercover for the Russians. Technically, this was a gimmick twist, but it seemed so brilliant to me that its inclusion was guaranteed.

Number 5
Fight Club - 1999
Fight Club is a cult-classic directed by David Fincher and based on the novel by Chuck Palahniuk. Ed Norton and Brad Pitt are bored with the yuppie life, so they reinvent themselves; starting with a whole new attitude toward confrontation. Fight Club has guys beating the hell out of each other just for kicks; sounds like fun. Things escalate as Tyler Durden (Pitt) organizes the fighters into an army for social revolt. How can Norton stop him before he goes overboard and blows up a bunch of buildings?

The twist: You really have to look at yourself in the mirror when you’re faced with morality, mortality and duality. Norton and Pitt were the same damn guy. I can put two split-personality films on this list if I want.

Number 4
The Wicker Man - 1973
Not to be confused with the updated version that stars Nicolas Cage, the original The Wicker Man had Edward Woodward as a British detective traveling to a place called Summerisle to investigate the mysterious disappearance of a girl. It’s good to be a do-gooder, but he gets zero help from the locals. He ploughs along with the clues and discovers that the missing girl is alive, but in great peril. Time ticks by with the girl's future in his hands.

The twist: The pagans of Summerisle like to make occasional sacrifices to the Wicker Man, a large wooden statue used to imprison a human offering before being set afire. The great twist -- as our cool detective finds out too late -- is that the sacrifice is not the girl, but him. And the girl was in on the ruse.

It’s not No. 1, but the twist scared every man on the planet…NEXT>>

Number 3
The Sixth Sense - 1999
Haley Joel Osment should have won an Oscar for tugging at our heartstrings with this terrifying story about a boy who sees dead people and can’t get rid of them. Bruce Willis plays shrink Dr. Malcolm Crowe, who tells the boy to try to help the ghosts make things right from their unfinished lives. That seems to work pretty well.

The twist: But now the boy is faced with a bigger problem: How do you get rid of Dr. Crowe? Same way I guess, since he’s dead too.

Number 2
The Crying Game - 1992
Stephen Rea is an actor’s actor and Neil Jordan will direct any movie that has an Irish angle. Rea is Fergus, an IRA fighter who holds British soldier Jody (Forest Whitaker) hostage. The situation goes fubar even though Fergus and Jody were kind of chummy. Out of guilt or whatever reason, Fergus tracks down Jody’s girlfriend Dil in London and hooks up with her. That’s what mates are for, right?

The twist: Just as they are about to take their relationship to the next level, Dil drops her trousers and we all get an eyeful of the one thing we’re not expecting to see on a girl. The Crying Game served as a very vivid warning to all guys trolling the bars: Check your packages at the door.

Number 1
The Usual Suspects - 1995
The granddaddy of them all is a heist-gone-wrong story told in the fractured-sequential narrative that was so popular in the mid-‘90s. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist. Verbal Kint (Kevin Spacey) sits in the interrogation room and tells the cops everything he knows about the bad deal, his dead partners and the mysterious mass murderer Keyser Soze.

Kint has a twisted hand and foot, and a motor mouth. The Usual Suspects is a big script because of all the dialogue, mostly from Kint. He tells us everything we need to know about his crew and their run-in with Soze. Complex, convoluted, and it all makes sense just the way we’re told; this was a total masterpiece from director Bryan Singer.

The twist: There’s a very good reason why Spacey won an Oscar for this role. It has to be tough to keep your hand cramped up like that and walk with your left foot turned in. Good thing that after he’s released at the end of the movie he can stretch out, walk straight and go back to being Keyser Soze. I never cheered for the devil as much as I did when I first saw this bravura performance.

a twist of lime
The formulas for most movies are tired recipes using old ingredients. A sure sign of a genius director or screenwriter is one who, like a master chef, can take an apple pie and add a twist of lime to give it a unique taste. This doesn’t mean that a standard whodunit can become a great twist simply by adding citrus; there’s no easy outs. Only a bona fide switcheroo that forces the viewer to reconsider the entire movie, maybe even forcing them to watch it again, can attest to its genius.'

original article: http://www.askmen.com/toys/top_10_150/1 ... _list.html

RONSAUCE
Regular!

Post by RONSAUCE » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:43 am

hah, pretty lame. I hate these sort of lists. Especially when they are as mediocre as this.

That aside, I think Diabolique should have been included.

Timeoil
Regular!

Post by Timeoil » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:25 pm

What's next? wombats top ten things to high five about at sports bars?

eric
Regular!

Post by eric » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:42 pm

Yea, this is just garbage. How reliable are those burners you recommended me?

Timeoil
Regular!

Post by Timeoil » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:59 pm

remind me...

aka Wombat
Regular!

Post by aka Wombat » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:37 pm

you guys don't luv me? after all the time i've given to you. pls delete all my posts and kick me then. fuck this forum. and fuck yall assholes.

eric
Regular!

Post by eric » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:21 am

Timeoil wrote:remind me...
wombat recommended me some good dvd burners here....

http://www.harmony-korine.com/ipw-web/b ... php?t=1714

they seemed legit enough but now im beginning to wonder.

Brutus
Site Administrator

Post by Brutus » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:24 am

You can't just give up like that, you've got to stand firm.

Timeoil
Regular!

Post by Timeoil » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:47 am