Regular!

Re: What Are You Reading...

Post by santebal » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:59 pm

Just ordered these books.

santebal
Regular!

Post by santebal » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:38 am

I just finished Book of Blues by Jack Kerouac. There were a lot of parts that reminded me of something Korine would write. Great read, I recommend it.

santebal
Regular!

Post by santebal » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:32 am

Finished Pol Pot Plans the Future a couple days ago, which was a collection of documents from the Khmer Rouge during their rule in Cambodia. Very interesting. Now, I'm reading Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller. I have the collected works of both Chekhov and HD set to the side as well.

EDIT: Also, I'm curious... is any of Dan Colen's art books worth buying, like Disappearing Act?

16bitsystems
Regular!

Post by 16bitsystems » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:31 am

stole this from the library at school my last semester. i'm half way through it. best i can tell it has been out of print for a long time. it's ionesco's only novel. it hadn't been checked out since 1988 so i didn't feel bad about stealing it. i would have stolen it either way though. it's really powerful. it's like the stranger but about a more banal and bored character who doesn't kill anyone.

santebal
Regular!

Post by santebal » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:17 pm

santebal
Regular!

Post by santebal » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:18 pm

16bitsystems wrote:Image

stole this from the library at school my last semester. i'm half way through it. best i can tell it has been out of print for a long time. it's ionesco's only novel. it hadn't been checked out since 1988 so i didn't feel bad about stealing it. i would have stolen it either way though. it's really powerful. it's like the stranger but about a more banal and bored character who doesn't kill anyone.
Great find. I've been trying to find that guy's work for a while. I would have tried to steal it before you.

nnos482
Regular

Post by nnos482 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:09 pm

I've revisited The Great Gatsby. They're helping others die, it's inevitable and certainly not premeditated. Fucking Daisy, I thought I liked her.

SINISTER FUNKHOUSE
Regular!

Post by SINISTER FUNKHOUSE » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:32 am

just received pigs, so that's the last thing i read. it's alright. i enjoyed the curb dance page[s] the most, but that's probably because it brought back a specific visual/voice-over in my head.
q: hey guys, what do you call somebody else's cheese?

a: NACHO CHEESE!

----

q: what do you call an empty jar of cheese whiz?

a: cheese WAS!!!

yourbuddyoz
Regular!

Post by yourbuddyoz » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:31 pm

I've gotten way into Thomas Pynchon this year. THE CRYING OF LOT 49 and INHERENT VICE are great companion pieces on the death of '60s idealism. Vice is like a majestic mashup of Lebowski, Long Goodbye, Fear and Loathing and Chinatown.

The current Pynchon I'm working on is AGAINST THE DAY, which is a 1,000 page bohemoth about the late 1800s, early 1900s. All sorts of shit going on - the Chicago World's Fair, Colorado miner labor union disputes, a balloon airship crew (very reminiscent of team zissou), Tesla and tons more intersecting plots and characters. Pynchon is becoming one of my top three favorite writers. He's so inventive and funny and sometimes a complete dick, assaulting you with heaps of obsolete terms, rare words and historical/scientific references. It can be maddening but he keeps it entertaining.

santebal
Regular!

Post by santebal » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:05 pm

I've also just recently got into Thomas Pynchon. I read both of those books and V. His writing is like no other's I've read, very complex; I like it a lot. I got Gravity's Rainbow last week, I plan to read that one soon. The man is brilliant.

Right now, I'm reading Diogenes the Cynic - Sayings and Anecdotes with Other Popular Moralists, The Stalin Era by Anna Louise Strong, and Cassavetes on Cassavetes by John Cassavetes/Ray Carney.

downward
Regular!

Post by downward » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:23 am

im reading the martian by andy weir. its really good,

Antarctica
Regular

Post by Antarctica » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:31 am

Blood Meridian and Goya by Robert Hughes

santebal
Regular!