Jean Luc-Godard

Jesus Son
Regular!

Re: Jean Luc-Godard

Postby Jesus Son » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:28 am

man, sometimes signing up to this board seems like a frathouse right of passage.

i'd tend to agree though, if not in such harsh terms, that that is a crazy opinion. i guess it depends on what you're after, but i really do find anything outside of the '60s to be dry, self involved, hollowly intellectual - and often contradictory at that, like, a series of occasionally interesting (but mostly not) intellectual points with no clear argument to link them or real purpose in mentioning them except for the sake of sounding grandiose and JLG building his own reputation as a 'thinker' - aloof and irrelevant, and very seldom watchable.

a lot of the '60s stuff is like that too, but at least it's fun and playful and sexy. and Weekend, Breathless, Pierrot Le Fou, Alphaville, 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her and Vivre Sa Vie are masterpieces. i think Weekend is my favourite. i love the traffic jam scene.

BlueCorpse
Regular

Postby BlueCorpse » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:00 pm

Thanks guys, i just put copies of breathless and Weekend on hold from the interloan library service. I can't wait to get them.
Last edited by BlueCorpse on Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

wagon wheel
Regular!

Postby wagon wheel » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:45 pm

How do you guys feel about Hail Mary?

sweedishbeaches
Regular

Postby sweedishbeaches » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:53 pm

Breathless is a great introduction to Godard, honestly I'd save Weekend for a ways down the road once you've seen a lot more of his films, as it's easily one of his most pretentious/weakest films (although still worth seeing).

here's what i'd check out first:

my life to live
band of outsiders
pierrot le fou
le chinoise
contempt

polysicsarebest
Regular

Postby polysicsarebest » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:54 am

amazing director, him and takeshi kitano are the two best directors of all time (and quite similiar).

pierrot le fou and oh woe is me and novelle vague and week end and.. oh, shit, he's never made a bad film

i love his more experimental stuff best (numero deux for example)

if anyone has soem of his rarer works on dvd-r or something and wants to sell me soem pm me
josh alridge, xavier renegade angel # 1 fan

Chad
Regular!

Postby Chad » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:48 am

man, even in the 60's Godard made some real garbage. watching Made In U.S.A was like being forced to drink poison.

santebal
Regular!

Postby santebal » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:38 pm

Chad wrote:man, even in the 60's Godard made some real garbage. watching Made In U.S.A was like being forced to drink poison.

I like Made In U.S.A., and some others he's done... but I really don't think he's that great. He can be very pretentious (and I hate using this word) and quite boring. The 80s and on, his films got even more bland. Breathless is a masterpiece, but that's about it. He's quite overrated, in my opinion. It's a shame to say it because I often like his film's political and existential elements.

Brandon...
Regular!

Postby Brandon... » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:26 am

i find i really odd when people dismiss godard's post "weekend" films. it seems they don't really know what they are talking about. its not that difficult to classify them in a really basic way: 1) classic french new wave everybody knows; 2) his striped down political side, which basically rebuked the "classic" films that are easier to digest; 3.) the movies he made in since he's been living in switzerland.

i always felt that his third period was more or less a return to his "classic" films. they're easier to approach and feature more commercial stars behaving in the same erratic 60's way. the only real difference between many of the third and first periods are that the third seems to be more autobiographical (probably part of the reason it's more interesting to me).

I really don't understand though how people would lump together his second and third periods and just reduce his whole career down to "everything up till 1967" and "everything after".

Most of my favorite films of his seem to be more akin (but not too similar) to Korine's preferences. I do admire his 60's work, and agree it's a good way to introduce yourself to his style, but i would say that "here and elsewhere", "number two", "king lear", and "histoire(s) du cinema" (probably his most important film) are his best. it just go released on dvd too actually!

DdSpelunker
Regular!

Postby DdSpelunker » Sun May 26, 2013 4:30 pm

Nowhere
Regular!

Postby Nowhere » Tue May 28, 2013 12:31 pm

DdSpelunker
Regular!

Postby DdSpelunker » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:08 pm