Terry Richardson isn't talented... tell me how I'm wrong.

Chad
Regular!

Terry Richardson isn't talented... tell me how I'm wrong.

Postby Chad » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:54 am

He's famous for taking pictures of famous people. The pictures he takes aren't all that interesting and are pictures almost anyone with basic knowledge of a camera could take.

Part of this may stem from the fact that I think Modern photography is barely an art form.

Am I wrong?

JulienDonkeyHumpers
Regular!

Re: Terry Richardson isn't talented... tell me how I'm wrong

Postby JulienDonkeyHumpers » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:06 am

Half expected some long winded essay when I clicked that. But let's be honest, it's not hard to take the kind of photos he does. It's just that you won't be photographing Lady Gaga or any of the celebrities he does any time soon.

SINISTER FUNKHOUSE
Regular!

Postby SINISTER FUNKHOUSE » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:04 am

whether he's a talented photographer is up for debate,

what i think isn't up for debate is the fact that he shows celebrities as they're now often shown.

the photos themselves, i think, for the most part are interesting as well.

the only ones i can think of off the top of my head are the culkin ones, which i think are great.

talent is optional.
q: hey guys, what do you call somebody else's cheese?

a: NACHO CHEESE!

----

q: what do you call an empty jar of cheese whiz?

a: cheese WAS!!!

yourbuddyoz
Regular!

Postby yourbuddyoz » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:05 am

people think an artist or photographer or whatever has to encapsulate the whole spectrum of the medium. if terry richardson wants to take shitty pictures, it's okay. he isn't photography embodied, he is only a small voice adding to the chorus of human expression in general, so accept his trip for what it is. for me, i just like his subjects, and the simplicity. i know there are better pictures out there. but then, i don't listen to the clash for technical proficiency. i listen for soul.

Chad
Regular!

Postby Chad » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:19 am

oops
Regular!

Postby oops » Mon May 12, 2014 7:04 am

not a fan of the new vice but love Gavin! :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iXZocLzpx4

oops
Regular!

Postby oops » Mon May 12, 2014 7:34 am

bloody politically correct/liberal/feminist scum! cancer or car crash for them all, hopefully soon :lol:
just like with the religious/conservative/fascist trash, their day will come.
but things must get worse before we see change.
earth needs to cleanse itself of these sewage beings, of course, to put an end to this political correctness plague!

Timeoil
Regular!

Postby Timeoil » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:03 am

If Terry Richardson hadn't learned how to use a camera and sell shit about/to rich white and Jewish sociopaths he would be in jail.

oops
Regular!

Postby oops » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:38 am

Last edited by oops on Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

oops
Regular!

Postby oops » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:43 am

oops
Regular!

Postby oops » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:57 am

Geimer: It wasn't Roman who made my life miserable. It was the people who treated him unfairly at the time and now had him arrested in Switzerland. And -- nothing against you -- the press made my life miserable. Roman didn't intend for any of that. When he was arrested again four years ago, I knew it meant trouble. Now the press was after me again. That's why I wasn't happy.

Geimer: I'm also a feminist. I understand the motives of the women who attacked me publicly. But they wanted me to feel like a victim, because only a deeply hurt victim could truly benefit them and their cause. But I wasn't one. To this day, I don't feel that I was a victim of Roman, but rather a victim of the public, the courts and the media. That explains this book and this interview.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000591/boar ... 621611?p=1

oops
Regular!

Postby oops » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:35 am

W stopped using him for 14 years after its creative director deemed two of his ­pictures anti-Semitic

Do you think photography has changed?

Larry Clark:
Photography for me has changed now. You know, now everybody is a photographer, but nobody thinks about light, they use fucking flash on a camera. Do you know the worst photographer in the world? We actually are quite friendly, Terry Richardson. Terrible! Horrible! He could not take a picture that depended on lighting. Sucks! His father, Bob Richardson was a fashion photographer, there is a really good picture that Bob took of me on my website, and I knew Bob a bit before he passed away. But he used to tell Terry he was a bad photographer. So now I do it, taking on Bob’s role. So Terry thought when his father passed away, maybe it was over but it’s not over, because every time I see Terry I say, “You are bad, you suck” Because he takes pictures with flash on his camera, and against your face and click, and click and click, and says “Wonderful, wonderful” “that’s great! That’s great!” but I never moved an inch. He photographed me for INTERVIEW, and I really did not want this guy to photograph me, but I agreed to do it. I went and they had racks of clothes, but I wore a black suit and tie, and I never changed my expression, yet he took a million pictures of me. I was determined to control the picture. So I looked at him, and he tried everything he could to get me laughing but I would do nothing. He stood in front of me, and he’s even got his assistant changing cards for him, but I never moved, I never changed expression. I gave him a good picture, but he still is the worst. Because photography to me, is about light and feeling, and you can do so much with that. With the flash on, the camera straight in your face, it does nothing. It wipes out everything. It is good sometimes, you know, paparazzi kind of pictures of the moment.

Larry Clark - Yes. Speaking of fashion, though, Terry Richardson’s father Bob Richardson was a famous fashion photographer in the ’60s and there’s a picture that he took of me on my website. I just posted that. Someone just gave it to me, I’d never seen it before.

Olivier Zahm - Terry gave it to you?

Larry Clark - No, it wasn’t Terry. It was someone else who gave it to me. A magazine called me and said that Bob Richardson wanted to photograph me. I thought it was Terry and I didn’t want to do it. I said, “No, no, no.” I didn’t want to be photographed by Terry Richardson, but finally I said, “Oh, OK,” so they came and it wasn’t Terry, it was his father Bob. And so I’m talking to Bob and he said, “Do you know why you’re able to make your movies about kids and do all this work you do? Because you’re cool. If you weren’t cool, you couldn’t get within a mile of these kids.” And I said, “Oh, OK. Thank you Bob.” So I posted a picture that Bob took of me on larryclark.com and also a picture, the best picture ever taken of me, by Helmut Newton. He was a great photographer.

Olivier Zahm - He took a picture of you, too?

Larry Clark - At Cannes in 1995 when I did Kids. The New Yorker wanted to do a picture for a story about Kids, and they said that Richard Avedon would photograph me. I said “Fuck you, I’m not going to let Richard Avedon photograph me!” I told them that the only guy of the fashion ilk I would let photograph me would be Helmut. And it turned out Helmut lived in Monaco right across from Cannes. And he had just signed a contract with The New Yorker, so talk about luck. Helmut and June came over and Helmut took the photograph. It was just me and Helmut and his assistant and we drove around for a minute until he saw this place under a train trestle. I had no idea what he was doing, and he made this great photograph.

Return to “General Discussion”