Lack of Updates

Questions or comments regarding the website and forum...
Cherry Cola
Regular

Lack of Updates

Postby Cherry Cola » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:26 pm

Hi there,

nice site about an awesome artist, but why there are no more updates? Mostly a great user namend 'baal' posted some news, articels & more on this board. He should have the rights to do updates on this site. It's sad to see the website more and more disappear in the whole wide web shit.

Brutus
Site Administrator

Re: Lack of Updates

Postby Brutus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:44 pm

A long time has passed. I saw this post soon after it was posted but I didn't reply because I was working on a site update at the time. And I thought it'd all work out better if I didn't say anything about this. I didn't want to make pledges and create expectations.

Anyhow, it's a year and half later now. And it's been a year since I did any work on the site updates. It's just not happening now -- I've just been doing nothing with it. More and more lately I'm thinking of just ending the site. The site hosting costs will need to be paid again in November and by that time I'm thinking I will transfer the site to someone else (someone I have in mind already) and then what they do with it, I don't know. I imagine they'll just close the site and do something else with the domain or just hold onto it. Or if someone else wants the site, that's a possibility I'll consider. I don't want to sell the site for profit, it'll just be a situation where you take it over, you pay the host costs (about $120 a year with the current host), and I'll have nothing to do with it anymore.

And as to why no updates, how it got to this ramshackle state, etc: It just got to be too much to keep on top of. And the way the site was set up, put together with little understanding of web design, it wasn't easy to update. Plus, I started the site when I was 16 or 17. It's 16 years later. I've got other aims and interests, other commitments, etc. This isn't a site I would've started today or even 5+ years ago. I still like Korine's work but I don't have the same fervour and obsession that I had when I started the site.

oops
Regular!

Postby oops » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:03 am

hey brutus, do we have until next November before you close the site down?

maybe baal can take over???

Brutus
Site Administrator

Postby Brutus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:16 pm

Yeah. The site is paid for until November.

If baal wants to, he can. It's all just about whoever wants to pay the host costs and run a site.

Also, if anyone is thinking of what it would take to run, I don't think it needs to be as complicated as I made it. It could be set up so it doesn't require much upkeep. I think the best way to run it now would be to have the site itself just be an archive of interviews and information from movies and other projects. Just remove the news part entirely and have people visit the forum for any news.

oops
Regular!

Postby oops » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:54 am

Brutus wrote:Yeah. The site is paid for until November.

ok cool

If baal wants to, he can. It's all just about whoever wants to pay the host costs and run a site.

yeah i hope someone does

Also, if anyone is thinking of what it would take to run, I don't think it needs to be as complicated as I made it. It could be set up so it doesn't require much upkeep. I think the best way to run it now would be to have the site itself just be an archive of interviews and information from movies and other projects. Just remove the news part entirely and have people visit the forum for any news.

that is a great idea

it really does suck that message board usage has gone way down over the last 15 years or so, everyone has moved on :cry: facebook sucks!

Brutus
Site Administrator

Postby Brutus » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:11 pm

The usage has gone down but I think most of that is my fault. Every so often the forum needs to be updated because spambots change and are able to overcome the anti-spam measures. And a lot of the time when that happened I just closed registration because updating the forum can be troublesome. It wasn't a good thing to do but I just couldn't be bothered with any of this anymore, it was a hassle in my life.

And then having this default style for the forum is not so inviting. Plus, I saw just recently that the 'forum' link and other links on the site menu elsewhere on the site don't even work anymore, or at least they don't in newer versions of Firefox, so the only way most could get here is by googling the forum.

It seems like a lot of forums have died but there's still some that are active and I always thought this one could still be active with some work. My idea for getting it back on track was to fix up the design again and then close the forum for a few months so that only registered people could read it. That way people that lurk or are curious would have to sign up just to read. Eventually they might post, having an account and being signed in already, etc. Also, you start posting more to invite discussion, asking questions, get things looking more lively, that helps. There are things a person can do try to kickstart things again.

Return to “Questions and Comments”