A New Design for the Website

Questions or comments regarding the website and forum...
Brutus
Site Administrator

A New Design for the Website

Post by Brutus » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:26 am

I haven't updated the site in half a year. I just got tired of it, it seems like a lot of trouble to maintain sometimes, and I've had other things that have taken up most of my time too - things that are now finished. I'm getting back to it now. I'm thinking that I will either re-design the website, which I have no ideas on, or simply clean it up a little - or at least update the news, one of the three.

I think a re-design would be OK. Since the last re-design, I've bought a new computer - an iMac Intel. Everything you see on the site now was made in Appleworks, which is like MS Paint. There will be better available to me now. I'm getting Adobe Premium Design, that's all I could think of. If you have any suggestions for graphic design programs, for either Windows or Mac, I may get them too. The same for web design programs. There's something in the Adobe package for that too though but maybe there's something else you think is better.

If you have any thoughts on a new design I would like to hear them too. The site content will change a little I think. I could remove a few things and add others. The layout will probably stay the same - I can't think what else I could do there. The news page could be completely different. The graphics all around the site should change too.

Timeoil
Regular!

Post by Timeoil » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:05 am

phpbb 3 will be out pretty soon and that will make customizing fairly easy. it is supposed to have tons of features like the pay boards have...

you could install some sort of content management system to make updating and upgrading easy. like mambo, postnuke, joomla or a basic php site...dunno

Brutus
Site Administrator

Post by Brutus » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:33 am

Yeah, we will move to phpBB3 soon, maybe even to the unstable version that is out now. For the news, I was thinking of something like what you're talking about, that way I could have other people update the news without giving them access to the website administration area.

Brutus
Site Administrator

Re: A New Design for the Website

Post by Brutus » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:38 am

This is phpBB3. How does everyone like it? I will update the appearance soon. Let me know if there are any problems. I updated the website yesterday also but have not updated the news page yet. If you go to the Visuals page there is a section for Mister Lonely now and updates to the Kids and Harmony Korine pages, that's pretty well all.

baal
Regular!

Post by baal » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:40 am

This board is smooth, I like it. I think you should keep it and style it a bit like you did with the old one. As for the site itself I guess you could change some of the imagery, the black metal imagery for example, as much as I think it's cool it's not really where Korine is at anymore. If you left it how it is though I wouldn't hold it against you.

It's good that all the Mister Lonely pics are in one place now. Good work. There's another that may have escaped your attention:

baal
Regular!

Post by baal » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:46 am

It appears to crop the picture to fit it on the board rather than just display it as is or resize it. That's something for you to think about.

Kingfish
Regular!

Post by Kingfish » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:33 pm

returning to this site when i'm drunk as shit really creaped me out. it seems too much like the criterionforum.org style of forum, i must say i like the old version better, less trouble or not. but whatever, i'm just some guy, my opinon brobably doesn't mean shit to anyone here.
"The best Bergman film I've seen is Offret, and the worst, Interiors. I like them both."

direct recharge

Post by direct recharge » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:36 pm

i kinda lke the new board. its kinda diffrent, especially that the user pics are to the right of the text now. but somehow i like the design of it. it looks like it has some new functions.

just needs a a nice design around it kinda...

Brutus
Site Administrator

Post by Brutus » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:59 pm

baal wrote:As for the site itself I guess you could change some of the imagery, the black metal imagery for example, as much as I think it's cool it's not really where Korine is at anymore.
Yes, those black metal images on the news page are not so good, they will not be there in the update. I still like the image in the menu though. That will stay for the moment. What I am doing now is just a simple update with just a few revisions. I'm not going to do a re-design anymore.

I don't know about the picture problem. I will look into that tomorrow.

Brutus
Site Administrator

Post by Brutus » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:18 am

There, I did it! There are a few parts I should change but other than that it is all done. I'll have a new style based on what you had before (that is, avatars on the right and such) later. If you wish to see the forum as the default phpBB3 style go into Profile and then Board Preferences.

Brutus
Site Administrator

Post by Brutus » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:43 pm

Has anybody noticed the site (whole site, not just the forum) going offline a lot lately? It seems like a lot of the time I get an 'unable to connect' message.

direct recharge

Post by direct recharge » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:38 pm

yes same here. may you should contact the guys you got the domain from, they are mostly responsable for downtimes ...

Brutus
Site Administrator

Post by Brutus » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:26 am

It was a webhost with free domain that I went with. There are a few problems I'm experiencing with the site at the moment. I talked to the webhost about it before, they will get back to me they say and maybe it will all be cleared up.

Brutus
Site Administrator

Post by Brutus » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:19 am

The downtime issue seems to be OK now. I've updated the news page now also. I don't think it looks so great but it will do for now. Looking around again, I really don't like the design of the site so much anymore. There are parts that are good still, I think, but there is a lot that looks not quite right or very dull, and we are not using enough of the screen, it seems to me. We only use a small square in the center. We could probably use more and it'd still display fine on most computers.

Brutus
Site Administrator

Post by Brutus » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:31 am

I think we will have a new design one day, not far from now. A sleeker design, cleaner and more pleasant. I'm reading Web Design for Dummies at the moment. Once I have that read it will all come together. It will be just like snap.