A New Design for the Website

Questions or comments regarding the website and forum...
direct recharge

Re: A New Design for the Website

Postby direct recharge » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:04 pm

i like the general layout, but it looks too much like a blog for my taste. but its a good direction for sure. a few less black lines, and probably another font would possibly change it in a good way.

Brutus
Site Administrator

Postby Brutus » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:29 am

Yeah, I think the same. It's tough to avoid the look of a blog. To me it just looks very plain and uninteresting at the moment, like I've simply chosen a blog template and added my own menu. Basically all I like is the section with the news and the accompanying image with border. For some reason I like the image with the big gray border very much...

I tried it with less lines to begin with. You can see it without the border on the side here:

http://harmony-korine.com/example/borderless.html

I think that kind of looks a little better but I don't know really, it's tough for me to say...

direct recharge

Postby direct recharge » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:33 am

i like this much moore this way... if you think it looks too empty on the left and right now, you could probably try changing the background color to black, so the centered-content will stand out a bit moore. i could imagine that could look good. good work this far.

Brutus
Site Administrator

Postby Brutus » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:10 am

I probably wouldn't have the background black. I'm trying to make the site look more happier now...

I think this type of font below looks OK for general use throughout the site.

Kingfish
Regular!

Postby Kingfish » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:14 pm

^I like it. The pastel colors are fitting.
"The best Bergman film I've seen is Offret, and the worst, Interiors. I like them both."

direct recharge

Postby direct recharge » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:10 am

yeh the new font and yellow menu is really nice.

Brutus
Site Administrator

Postby Brutus » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:43 am

I'm still working on this. I decided on a design a little over a month ago and since then I've been steadily putting it together. It's taken a long time but it's near the end now. Pretty much everything is done apart from the forum, which I need to re-design, the video pages and maybe a few paragraphs of writing concerning a few projects.

It really has been a lot of work this time. Two weeks ago I thought I'd be finished in a couple of days but each part usually turns out taking longer than I imagine. Each day I've basically worked from 8:00AM until 10:00PM. It's like having a job. I enjoy the work to an extent though - it's satisfying to put things together and have a clear goal to work towards - but sometimes it's all really horrible and I wonder if I'm really wasting my time. In the end though it'll be fine. We wont remember any of the work.

Now say things to cheer me on. I need encouragement.

umma-ohz
Regular!

Postby umma-ohz » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:36 am

Woop woop!
I'm looking forward to seeing this!

Jesus Son
Regular!

Postby Jesus Son » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:27 pm

Yes, nice work Brutus. I've always been impressed with the level of work put into this site, there aren't really any fansites that spring to mind to top it in terms of attention to detail and content that's of real interest. Looking forward to the new look.

Brutus
Site Administrator

Postby Brutus » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:37 am

Yes, thank you. God bless the two of you and you two alone, no one else.

oops
Regular!

Postby oops » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:02 am

dig it! 8)

Brutus
Site Administrator

Postby Brutus » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:22 am

OK. The new design is up now, it seems. It was made on a Mac and so it's possible there are errors that you see in Windows that I'm unaware of - let me know.

Overall I guess the site is much better than the old one. I'm happy with the news page and the pages for individual films/projects (like this). Other pages I'm not so sure about.

The forum is just a style from elsewhere with a new menu, done quickly. I will perhaps work something better out later. It's maybe too thin at the moment.

Feel free to be as critical as you like, I would like to hear all complaints.

Johnny Boy
Regular!

Postby Johnny Boy » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:24 am

Looks grand. Really good, mate. I like the simplicity and the scribbled handwriting. It's not something you see that often on a website, so that's really cool.

Is that a font you've downloaded that looks like Harmony's freehand? Or is it something you've copied and uploaded yourself?

Brutus
Site Administrator

Postby Brutus » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:29 am

It's taken from scans from 'A Crackup...', from the 'look-inside' on Amazon.com. I just cut and paste the individual letters. They're actually the same as on the old site except on the old site they were inverted (black became white / white became black).

Johnny Boy
Regular!

Postby Johnny Boy » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:37 am

Shit, I wanna get my hands on the Collected Screenplays book now looking at it on the Gummo page. Do you own it, Brutus?

Return to “Questions and Comments”