Thursday, 6th of September - 2007

Questions or comments regarding the website and forum...
Brutus
Site Administrator

Thursday, 6th of September - 2007

Postby Brutus » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:29 am

Times are tough out here in the fields, let me tell you. The site is back, as you must see. All avatars have been deleted. You can re-upload those now if you like (we've updated to size 130 x 130). A few days of posts have been lost and the 'Secret!' board has been removed as well (it's too much trouble to have, I think, but could return is people really want). The design for the forum is the default one now, too, and the URL for the forum is different. Other than that, all should be as it was before.

We were down because we had some minor trouble with our domain, and when I contacted the webhost (iPowerWeb) they no help, their support quality has really just dropped - they're just complete shit. Where they were once poor, they are now unendurable - offering what must be the lowest level of support possible before no support at all is offered. They took four or fives days to respond to emails, and when they did finally reply, they'd either say they were transferring to another area of support ("I have asked a member of our team who specializes in Web site to review your account") or they'd claim that the problem was resolved when it clearly wasn't. Other times they didn't even respond. It just went around in circles like that for two weeks.

We are with a new host now - that's how we are online today.

Boogie
Regular!

Re: Thursday, 6th of September - 2007

Postby Boogie » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:46 am

i figured you were doing a transfer to a new host. its sucks, because the site has to be held for a few days during the process, which all transfers go through.

Timeoil
Regular!

Postby Timeoil » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:12 pm

Last edited by Timeoil on Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brutus
Site Administrator

Postby Brutus » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:09 pm

Yeah, I knew that the 'Secret!' board could have had us shut down if discovered by the host. That's why I made it only available to long-time members. In addition, the way the uploaded files were stored on the site didn't give away what they were - there was no folder full of .avi and .mp3 files as phpBB stores all attachments as another type of file.

We wont have a board like that on Harmony-Korine.com again - we'll keep it professional from now on. I don't want the trouble of it at this time, should I have it and it cause a problem.

We weren't actually shut down with the previous host. We were just experiencing a few problems that could only be solved on the host's end, and when we tried we couldn't get through to them, they just wouldn't do a thing for you, it was like asking a banana for help. I looked into and it seems the problems with the site and certainly with support are likely the result of what they're talking about here (iPowerWeb sold to Endurance International Group). We had similar site problems to what people describe towards the end there.

direct recharge

Postby direct recharge » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:22 pm

i thought its may cause of the secret area, too. or maybe that it wont come back. i think its a wise decision to keep the secret area away, i always thouthgt it was a little bit hot kinda...

anyway. good its back and you got it sorted.

Timeoil
Regular!

Postby Timeoil » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:25 pm

Last edited by Timeoil on Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brutus
Site Administrator

Postby Brutus » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:38 am

Timeoil wrote:so is the new phpbb worth it? or does it have problems? its not final yet right?

Yes, it's still not final yet. At the moment we are on the latest release candidate, number five, and prior to that I believe we were on RC2. With both, I have not found any problems, and no one on here has come to me with any troubles either. Perhaps there are hidden problems though, I couldn't really say.

The new features, layout and such are worth it, I think, yes. I think it's much better than phpBB2.

Return to “Questions and Comments”