New Site is Up

Questions or comments regarding the website and forum...
Brutus
Site Administrator

New Site is Up

Postby Brutus » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:23 pm

The new site is up, you can see it here:

http://www.harmony-korine.com/news/

The site now, what you see there, is just a temporary solution, just something to keep the site going. I've been working on the update for too long, I don't know why it was taking so long exactly, and it was getting to be very frustrating, I might even say traumatising, and so at some point recently I decided just to rush it all through as quickly as I could, giving no thought to the appearance and skipping things like the forum, and that's what you have there. It's very poorly put together, I realise, with things misaligned, parts that look like they could be easily cleaned up in a few minutes, glaring inconsistencies, etc, etc. These little issues will disappear bit by bit over the next few weeks.

Even without these sort of issues the design is very bland and unpleasant, I'm aware of that also. We'll have a better design at some point. To re-design the site now will not be so bad, it would be like, say, repainting and doing light remodeling to an existing structure, with the structure - much of the trouble - being built with this latest update. In the past, if I wanted to change the background colour across the entire site, I'd have to adjust literally thousands of individual pages (every photo page and every interview was a seperate page) but now I would only need to change about five pages and it would cover the entire site. This is of course how most sites have been set up for many years now, but here it was something foreign to us until now.

We can now also have others writing the news if they want, it'll be as simple as posting a new post on here. I'll give details for that maybe tomorrow.

As to what is new on the site, I don't know, I don't think there's much. The images page is pretty well it. The order of images hasn't changed and so most new images are on the end. The greater part of them you will have probably seen on the forum before but some you may not have. Here, for one, is a second picture from Gus Van Sant's "Easter":

http://www.harmony-korine.com/images/i/ ... 13.jpg.php

The assorted section below also has a number of pages of writing by Korine that some people emailed me:

http://www.harmony-korine.com/images/other/

The section for 3+1 there also has a number of pictures that someone emailed. These are probably new to most too:

http://www.harmony-korine.com/images/i/ ... 22.jpg.php
http://www.harmony-korine.com/images/i/ ... 23.jpg.php

There's also a couple of new pictures of Clark and Korine at Cannes for "Kids":

http://www.harmony-korine.com/images/kids/

And a larger picture of Clark on set here:

http://www.harmony-korine.com/images/i/ ... 11.jpg.php

I'm feeling very conflicted about having the site now, I want to say also. Maybe I'll feel less concerned later, after some time away from working on it, but it just strikes me as crazy now, the amount of work required to keep on top of things and that I feel the need to keep on top of things. The work is never going to stop, Korine is going to keep working and interviews and going to keep appearing. I'm not fishing for compliments, I realise that people appreciate the site, I genuinely feel that, but the work involved, talking of that alone, I really question whether I want to go on with it, if I want to have it on the back of my mind that I have to keep updating the site, to next year have such thoughts and the year after be thinking the same. When I was younger, it was just a hobby, like running a little magazine, but now it's something else. It's been maybe eight or nine years I've had the site now. I think maybe I'd like to move on.

It's late here now and I'm not making an effort to be completely intelligible. I'll post something more sensible about all this at a later time. I'm not talking about removing the site at some point, also. The site might one day get to a point where it's never updated but I think it'll forever be online.

I don't think the site is some important creation either, to be clear, like others are concerned. I'm just talking about it as something I've spent a lot time on over the years and want to keep going solely because of that, so that that time was not in vain. To let it all go, to completely stop updating, feels like it would be an insult to my younger self, the person I was when I made the site, something like that, I feel an obligation and a compulsion to keep the site going for pretty much that reason alone. That's a dreadful motive though, it's like being forced by a parent to do something, you drag your feet when such reasons are behind things. It's maybe like wanting to leave a marriage but you don't, maybe that's a good analogy for the situation I'm feeling here.

JulienDonkeyHumpers
Regular!

Re: New Site is Up

Postby JulienDonkeyHumpers » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:29 pm

Personally I think it looks great, I quite like the layout. I am looking forward to the Wordpress thing where we can add news to the site. When did the last major update like this take place? You put yourself down a lot on the inconsistencies if they are, as you say, minor.

As for the future of the site, if you get tired or unable to keep the site going I'm positive one or two members, including myself, would feel very much obliged to take over as it were. I'm sure there's no doubt about that.

Great work, Brutus and thanks!

PS: I was thinking maybe an image as a banner above the site navigation would look nice? Like before, but I figure something different this time. Just saying.

Boogie
Regular!

Postby Boogie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:47 am

Brutus, great job!

Not to sound troublesome, did you consider making this site mobile? Or looked into it? Im seeing alot of sites doing this. Or possibly make the forum mobile? I get some ideas of films to watch by the members and it would be nice to view it through my phone, anytime...anywhere. Just a thought.

By the way, what happen to timeoil? He use to post on here.

Brutus
Site Administrator

Postby Brutus » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:47 am

JulienDonkeyHumpers wrote:When did the last major update like this take place?

The last update like this was a little over two years ago and then perhaps it was a year before that that we went through a similar update after a long break of sorts, we've done that several times now. I think that's perhaps a large part of why I've grown so irritated with the site within these past few years, because most of my experiences with the site of late have been in having to update a year's worth of content after I've let it get a long way behind.

JulienDonkeyHumpers wrote:You put yourself down a lot on the inconsistencies if they are, as you say, minor.

It's not putting myself down, I didn't mean it that way, I just wanted to point out that I was aware of them so no one felt the need to let me know and so others knew they'd be resolved in time. Normally I like people to point out the little errors here and there because they're things I've definitely missed.

JulienDonkeyHumpers wrote:As for the future of the site, if you get tired or unable to keep the site going I'm positive one or two members, including myself, would feel very much obliged to take over as it were. I'm sure there's no doubt about that.

I've thought about that in the past but I couldn't think of anyone who I could see wanting to do that and sticking to it. It's something I'm open to though. I'm completely happy to continue paying for the site each year, I've got no issues with that, but if someone wanted to take over much of the site it's something I'd consider. The other options I was thinking is maybe the site stops trying to archive everything (that is, adding every photo, every interview, every bit of information) and instead just becomes a news blog, just adding information via the news section alone. The site and its approach could also be simplified in other ways or maybe take a more open community approach, where it's made more clear that anyone who wishes can add to or edit parts of the site. There are several possible solutions. I think at the moment we'll see what happens with the news section and go from there.

JulienDonkeyHumpers wrote:PS: I was thinking maybe an image as a banner above the site navigation would look nice?

It's possible, something like that. I'll put together a new design at some point but it wont be anytime too soon, I plan to just take it at a very leisurely pace.

Boogie wrote:Not to sound troublesome, did you consider making this site mobile?

No, but that's something that could be done in the future. It would all be based on whether phpBB or Wordpress offer it. I'll look into at a later date.

direct recharge

Postby direct recharge » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:20 am

nice work brutus. thank you for your effort in keeping this great site alive :)

Boogie
Regular!

Postby Boogie » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:39 pm

another thought, is to get rid of the front page, drawing of the "lamb". you should immediately capture someones attention with the news section, give the audience instant information. these days, front pages aren't necessary.

i don't know, i dont think the lamb does it for me. i do love the drawing of the kid wearing the devil costume and the lamb though is one of my favorite hk pieces.

again, just a thought.

Brutus
Site Administrator

Postby Brutus » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:36 pm

I meant to do something else with the front page but, like the forum design, it's something I decided to skip at the time to speed things up. There'll be some change with it in the future.

Return to “Questions and Comments”