Embedding Videos in Posts

Questions or comments regarding the website and forum...
Brutus
Site Administrator

Embedding Videos in Posts

Postby Brutus » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:43 am

Now when you post a link to YouTube on the forum here it'll embed the video, as you see below. You don't have to post BBcode or anything, just post the link and it'll automatically embed.

The default size looks a little small to me, I'll look into that tomorrow. I'll also look into enabling embedding with other video sites such as Vimeo.

If people find this feature annoying, if it slows browsing down for you or whatever, let me know. I just guessed people might like this feature but maybe I'm mistaken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72ODS0_eGko

JulienDonkeyHumpers
Regular!

Re: Embedding Videos in Posts

Postby JulienDonkeyHumpers » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:07 pm

Brutus, is it the same when making posts on the wordpress news part of the site?

Whenever a new video comes up I always feel reluctant to make a new post on the News page because I can't embed videos via the current Wordpress posting. I'm sure you can help me figure out how to put videos into the posts.

Brutus
Site Administrator

Postby Brutus » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:31 pm

For Wordpress, you use the embedding option on the video site. On YouTube it says 'SHARE' below the video, you click that, then you click 'EMBED,' and then you just copy that code from there. The code on YouTube looks like this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JC1t2DmCeAU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You can just add that to a post on Wordpress and it'll display. If you want to make the video the width of the news section though (rather than a small screen, like the one embedded in my first post), change the width/height numbers so it reads width="660" height="430". Here's an example of how that looks:

http://www.harmony-korine.com/news/2011/04/

Does all that make sense? For sites other sites it's the same. For Vimeo/YouTube/etc, you have to use their share/embed option given on the page. There might be another way but that's how I've been doing it.

Looking it up, there's actually the option of uploading videos too, the same as we upload pictures. I will look into how that works that later, that might be the better way to go.

JulienDonkeyHumpers
Regular!

Postby JulienDonkeyHumpers » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:45 pm

Yes that is what I tried before but for some reason even when I put that embed code into the post it still doesn't show up as a video. I think uploading via Wordpress does seem to be a better way. Regardless, if you are able to put videos into the posts I'm sure you can do that by yourself and I'll stick to text and image-based posts. Thanks anyway Brutus.

Return to “Questions and Comments”